Saccharomyces species are beneficial yeast organisms used in making beer, bread, and as a nutritional supplement.
Saccharomyces Boulardii is lactic acid yeast; a non-pathogenic, non-colonizing baker’s yeast species closely related to brewer’s yeast (Saccharomyces Cerevisiae). It is unrelated to Candida albicans, the Candida yeast species which cause infections in the gastrointestinal and urinary tracts. In fact, studies have shown that Saccharomyces Boulardii inhibits the spread of Candida Albicans.
- is among those Probiotics that can survive gastric acidity,
- is not inhibited by antibiotics (a unique property)
- does not adversely affect the normal flora in the gastrointestinal tract
- helps ulcerative colitis (European Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology 2003)
- protects the gut from amoebas and cholera
- alleviates diarrhea caused by Crohn’s disease and Clostridium difficile
- secretes a type of protease which is able to digest two protein exotoxins, that appear to be mediators for diarrhea and colitis caused by Clostridium
- is effective against diarrhea and dysentery according to the W.H.O.
This beneficial yeast can be found in Designer Physique’s Digestive Boost.