If you’re really bent on losing weight, you should try setting your sights on peas. Unknown to many, they can actually help you lose weight by standing as fillers for high calorie foods and by providing you with much needed vitamins and fibre. They contain double the protein found in most vegetables. Thus, they’re healthier protein alternatives that can help control your fat intake.
Apart from helping you lose weight, here are other health benefits you can get from peas:
- Their insoluble fibre help intestinal motility.
- They’re a good sources of iron.
- They contain the carotenoid lutein which helps reduce risks of cataracts and age-related macular degeneration.
- They can help lower cholesterol.
- They help maintain the immune system with their vitamin C and iron contents.
Weight Loss Tool
Here are some tips on how you can utilize peas to help you lose weight:
- Snacks – They’re handy and easy to keep and eat. You can keep them in your bag, car or office drawer. They are healthier snack alternatives to junk foods like chips or other sweets. They help maintain your blood sugar level so you won’t feel hungry fast. They’re also good sources of extra fibre. Make sure to pick those with low calories.
- Main dish – Add them to your brown rice or roast them and you’re guaranteed a healthy and yummy meal.
- Filler vegetable – Use them as your filler in fattening dishes. For instance, you can add them to your pasta dishes or casseroles. They can balance your meals because they contain low calories and high protein and dietary fibre. You will feel full faster. You get to eat an equal volume of food minus the calories.
- Add them to your soups – They are guaranteed to give you a tasty and healthy soup that is low in calories.
- Mix them with salads – They will not only make your salads more delicious, they will also make you feel fuller faster and longer.
Picking, Storing and Using Them
To maximize the health benefits of peas, you have to know how to handle them. Here are some tips on how to pick, store and use them:
- Pick the bright green ones that are firm and plump.
- Don’t store fresh peas too long because their sugar quickly turns to starch. Eat them at the soonest time possible to ensure they’re still healthy and flavorful. If fresh ones are not available, get frozen ones.
- For Chinese or fresh snow peas, get the flat, small and shiny ones. Don’t get those that are limp, cracked or extra huge. You can just wash and trim them, then eat them raw. You may also cook them for one to two minutes or include them in your stir fry dishes.
- Wash them before removing their shell and cooking them.
- Don’t steam them too long. Six to eight minutes will suffice. Make sure to keep them bright green to ensure that their flavour and vitamin C are retained.
Go ahead and grab some peas to start your healthy living.